Being a mentor is an opportunity to give back and to gain valuable, hands-on experience as a teacher and a coach.
As an AMADC Marketing Mentor, you’ll benefit from:
- Sharing your experiences and challenges in confidence to uncover lessons learned
- Strengthening your leadership and instructor skills
- Recharging your sense of accomplishment and purpose
- Networking with other AMADC members / mentors in the local marketing and communications community
- Gaining personal satisfaction from helping someone grow professionally
“I've been in marketing for several decades now, and I approach this discipline in a certain way. But there are many possible approaches. . . I wanted to connect with younger marketers to understand more of what they're learning.” – AMADC Mentor Program mentor, 2016-2017 (Hunter Montgomery, in conversation)
What protégés want
Protégés have described an ideal mentor as an experienced professional who:
- Values regular contact and provides real-world insight
- Provides access to resources or further support
- Listens actively to understand individual challenges
- Asks great questions to spur creative thinking/ideas
- Respects confidentiality and withholds judgement
Your role and eligibility
Mentors assist in career planning, answer questions and offer feedback on performance, boost self-esteem, facilitate networking, and help protégés design realistic goals.
To qualify for the program, we ask that mentors have:
- Five years* or more professional experience in marketing.
- The ability to provide insights into marketing to help guide the protégé.
- The availability and interest required to maintain a relationship with a protégé for the duration of the program.
*Note: If you have less than five years of experience, you can still apply for consideration if you have a specific area of expertise to share.